Jambolan, or yambolan, or syzygium yambolan (lat. Syzygium cumini), or Eugene yambolan (lat. Eugenia jambolana) – a fruit tree of the Myrtaceae family (Myrtaceae).
Other names: jambul, coffee, Javanese or Portuguese plum.
Jambolan is an evergreen fast-growing tree up to 30 meters tall with a trunk diameter of 60-90 cm and oblong-oval leaves 5-25 cm long and 2.5-10 cm wide.
Leaves have a pronounced turpentine odor.
Pink flowers with a funnel-shaped cup, 4-5 fused petals and numerous stamens.
The fruit is a glossy dark violet, almost black, drupe with a thin skin, with a diameter of 1.25-5 cm. The fruit pulp is purple or white, very juicy, fragrant, with an astringent, sometimes bitter taste, contains one or more green or brown seeds.
The homeland of Jambolan is India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Andaman Islands. Naturalized and cultivated in Indonesia, Australia, East Africa, the Philippines, less often in tropical America.
The tree grows in river valleys, as well as at an altitude of 1200 m above sea level.
The fruits are edible fresh, and are also used to make cakes, sauces, jellies, sorbets and syrups.
The leaves, fruits, seeds and bark of a plant are widely used in medicine.
Essential oils that are extracted from leaves are used in perfumes.
Seeds contain phenols, tannins, alkaloids, a little essential oil.
The hypoglycemic activity of the extract from the fruits has been experimentally proved.
Dried seeds are included in BTF as an antidiabetic agent; similarly used in india.
Root bark is used as a tannin raw material.
Wood – for construction.
The healing properties of Jambolan
- Fighting digestive problems. A long history of use proves that the purple fruit of jambolan is effective in eliminating peptic ulcer and diarrhea. Due to its antibacterial properties, fruits help prevent the development of the disease by destroying pathogens present in the stomach or intestines. In addition, organic fibers from pulp and peel help to normalize the natural movement of the intestine for the smooth movement of food masses. When eating jambolan, a lot of saliva is secreted, which stimulates the digestion of food already in the oral cavity, as well as in the remaining sections of the gastrointestinal tract. This improves the digestibility of dishes and speeds up metabolism. The pulp of the fruit, mixed with black salt and cumin seed powder, instantly helps with various indigestion.
- Prevention and relief of diabetes symptoms. It is known that Indian berry has an excellent ability to help patients with type 2 diabetes, which is closely associated with lifestyle and poor diet. Since the fruits of jambolan have little glucose, its glycemic index is also low. This means that the level of sugar in the blood during consumption of the fetus will practically not increase. Oleanolic acid, which is present in the fruit and has antidiabetic properties, will act in a similar way. Thanks to its presence, the body itself will begin to produce chemicals that are responsible for lowering blood sugar, converting glucose into energy. It will also help reduce the complications caused by diabetes, such as urinating too much and upset stomach.
- Help with cardiovascular disease. Jambolan fruits contain the triterpenoid substance, which prevents the accumulation of cholesterol. This is especially good not only for those who already have problems in this area, but also for healthy people, as a prevention. A cholesterol inhibitor reduces the risk of developing a heart attack, reduces the deposition of a substance in the vessels, thereby preventing atherosclerosis and hypertension.
- Effective help with hemorrhoids. The disease, which is “inconvenient” to talk about, meanwhile, is gaining an increasing audience. The reason for this is a sedentary lifestyle and poor nutrition. Drinking jambolan juice can quickly improve health in this area, strengthening the veins and intestinal walls. In some, not too neglected cases, the disease can go away by itself, provided that the cause of its appearance is eliminated.
- Increased hemoglobin production. Iron, which is abundant in jambolan, plays an important role in the formation of the main blood compound, hemoglobin. By binding to oxygen, it transfers molecules to all tissues, nourishing cells and providing “fuel” for a mass of metabolic reactions. In addition, iron helps cleanse and renew blood.
- Liver protection. Jambolan takes best care of the body, which is responsible for cleansing the body, removing toxins and waste substances from the blood. The liver also secretes bile, which is important for breaking down fats. The fruit stimulates the healthy secretion of bile, in order to avoid excessive accumulation of lipids, their deposition, with subsequent obesity of the liver and related problems.
- Youthful skin. The fruits of jambolan are a good source of vitamin C, which is known to have an amazing regenerative effect on the skin. Along with its antioxidant properties and free radical binding, vitamin is involved in the production of collagen protein, which prevents early aging and helps improve the appearance of integuments. In traditional Asian medicine, jambolan seed powder is used to remove scars and stains.
- Dental and oral care. The vitamin composition of the fruits of jambolan supports the health of teeth and gums, heals tissues and removes bleeding. The antibacterial properties of the fruit control the development of bacteria that damage the teeth and can cause an unpleasant odor.
- Strengthening the immune system. Other useful properties of jambolan are the prevention and relief of symptoms of tonsillitis and colds, as well as a decrease in the tendency to allergic reactions. In general, the fruit strengthens the immune system and enhances the production of its agents.
- Fight against cancer. It is known that polyphenols contained in jambolan fruits negatively affect the appearance of cancer cells. Anthocyanins work in a similar way, giving the fruit a red color, flavonoids and galacturonic acid, which prevent carcinogenic activity.
- Bone strength. Calcium, iron, potassium, vitamins in jambolan help strengthen and prevent osteoporosis. Calcium is also an important substance in maintaining the health of the nervous system.
- Diabetes and weight loss. Due to its low sugar content and low calorie content, an exotic fruit will be a pleasant addition to the diet of people, for various reasons limited in carbohydrate intake.
Included in Pois Ultra.